Monday, April 12, 2010

I offer you a guided tour of Monkey Towers

"What shall I write about?", I asked you, my adoring readers and fans, some weeks ago. The usual replies came: "sausages", "hats, biscuits, crisps", "Schopenhauer's The World as Will and Representation", "cocks you have known", "something as funny as the things you wrote when you were funny, you know, like the Greek statue thing. That sort of funny".

Some of these topicks may come up again in the coming weeks (not Schopenhauer, he's an idiot, and I doubt anything as good as the Greek statue will ever happen to me again), but one idea in particular called to me across the internet and the miles between Montreal and Brussels: Belgian Waffling's suggestion that I take you, my loyal supporters and advocates, on a guided tour of Monkey Towers.

Two things:

1. There are two Monkey Towers: one in Montreal, one in the country. Monkey Towers Montreal is 'mine', Monkey Towers Country is the house the French-Canadian veterinary research histopathologist to whom I am married bought before I moved here. I will therefore be showing you round Monkey Towers Montreal.

2. It is the perfect suggestion for right now in the situation of time and space in which I find myself, i.e. two weeks after I left my job. We have been away and I have had visitors (of which more another time; it is enough to say the visitor was of extremely high quality and left no trace of herself when she left), and so today is the first real opportunity (if you can call it that) that I have had to have a think, and unfortunately I have just discovered that my brain is empty, apart from a few biscuit crumbs and a copy of Woman's Own from 1972.

Bref (as they still say in some French-speaking countries), I liked the idea and I thought it was good, so here goes.

Today: the kitchen.

Disclaimer: I didn't move or rearrange anything, and it is only vaguely tidy because of visitors, etc.


The kitchen from afar


With your eyes, you will see the door to the back balcony and the $13 IKEA table that is as much use as a sheet of soggy cardboard. The thing for hanging is however OK, as are the shelves (thanks to the pathologist and his massive drill). If anyone wants the hall lights, they're yours if you come and pick them up.

























The kitchen from a bit closer

"Your refrigerator is a bit small", said a Canadian friend. I did not have the heart to tell her that in the Britain my North American refrigerator would probably attract puzzled glances and hushed questions about whether I had re-trained as a butcher.
























The sink

Not much to say really. The tap is mis-plumbed, i.e. the hot side is cold and the cold side is hot. To the left of the shelf is a frame containing a bean picked from a tree in Shoreditch with my friend Louis about five years ago. I should probably finish the washing up.



























Shelf close-up

From left to right: Greek jug bequeathed by friend Rachel upon leaving York University in 1991; old coffee tin, present from friend Emma; leaf tile from Heal's c. 1994 (present from Sophie); tin of sardines from Waitrose; card of a frog that says "The frog has a skin that is smooth and moist" (from dear Louis, see above); three Bournvita mugs, also from dear Louis.



























Stovetop

The stovetop is not gas (grrr), and is from 1972 (approx). British readers may be interested to note the grill on the left. Surprisingly handy, but not that handy. The shelves above contain a combination of tat and useful things, e.g. salt (various).

I do not like the bloody whistling kettle, but I do like the big Bialetti coffee pot and I love with a fury the Finnish cast-iron pot, which was a present from our lovely friend Max who carried it across Montreal (it weighs a ton) the day before our wedding.


























Things in jars on a shelf

I am not very tidy naturally but I like the way things look in jars. I also like small ceramic pigs bought in Chile. The soap says "Lucy" and was a present from my mother-in-law.

























Cookbooks

Lots of my favourite cookbooks are in the country. This is about half of them. ($1 for the person who spots which book I most certainly did not buy for myself.) NB: I do not have any fucking Delia Smith either here or in the country. (In the scales, you will see a year's worth of payslips.)



























Astonishing art

Below with your eyes you will see a picture of the Beatles done by my splendid god-daughter (and/or her mother), and a very excellent postcard sent by my friend Polly (is it just me, or does Marmite icecream sound OK?).














































I am willing to show you the inside of my cupboards if you would like a look, although I must warn you that they contain mainly Marmite, Rio Mare tuna and almost completely empty packets of Bulghur wheat (various).

Tomorrow: somewhere else in the flat.

Pip pip!

NWM

PS. I have not forgotten the badges. They just haven't arrived yet. I will let you know when they have a) arrived; b) been released into the community.

22 comments:

expat said...

Nigella Lawson - I claim my $1!

You can put it on my account as I wouldn't want to put you to trouble and expense of posting it.

NON-WORKINGMONKEY said...

WRONG. Ha ha! Try again, my cheeky friend.

Zoe said...

Oh, it is so fun to see! What neighborhood are you in, if you don't mind sharing? It is all very cute.

DameEmma said...

I shout Huzzah! if it is Fat Girl Slim.

Also, you can get sweet corn ice cream at the ridiculous gelato place in Vancouver. It is probably crap, but I'm not going to try it.

Word verification: Mangl
Got one of those?

NON-WORKINGMONKEY said...

Dear Zoe, I am in what the estate agent described as "borders of Plateau Mont-Royal, McGill Ghetto and Mile End", which could mean anything. More helpful: I am very near Prince Arthur at St-Laurent.

DameEmma!!! You MUST SWALLOW YOUR HUZZAH, for you are NOT correct. ooh yes will you try and and will you let me know what it's like? I have to make chocolate chip cookies with bacon in them. Apparently they are a sensation.

No mangle, but a top-loading washing machine which amounts to pretty much the same thing, in my view.

Baron d'Ormesan said...

I suspect that this is a fiendish monkey game and that the book in question is one of the ones whose title is impossible to read (most of them in my case). Unless of course it's the one with a bespooned spine much given to young Latin brides.

And doesn't having lots of bits of stuff on shelves above the hob mean that they have to be wiped every day? Or is Montreal/monkey fusion cuisine entirely without vertical spattering?

Zoe said...

Oh, we are practically neighbors. I will start inviting you to all kinds of things now. Real life, real time things.

Mr Farty said...

I don't see anything by the flobbery-tongued Mr Oliver, so I shall have a stab (oh, I wish!) at the Scotch git with the Klingon forehead. Ramsay, that is.

I like the Beatles picture. A lot.

NON-WORKINGMONKEY said...

!!Darling Baron, until very recently I had Staff. Now I do not. So I wipe and/or dust once a week and let me tell you that the dust is of a depth and weight unlike anything I have ever seen before, due in part to the brick wall thing which (as I am beginning to understand) is a necessary part of any Montreal apartment. But also (serious answer) there is a sort of ventilation/grease sucker thing in the middle that does a lot of the job, plus I do any serious cooking in t'country. Where the kitchen is magnificent. Yes.

Zoe - don't hesitate - I am tame (Asta will tell you - Asta, am I? Am I?) and would very much like any excuse to meet anyone marvellous.

MR FARTY WINS THE PRIZE. YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT GORDON. There are other books that are also presents, but that is the one. Yes. You win $1. Also congratulations on keeping it together on Saturday, dear man, and congratulations on your daughter's wedding.

NON-WORKINGMONKEY said...

Oh also Mr F it is bloody genius. Do you want one? I could ask her to do another. You would probably have to barter something e.g. whisky.

asta said...

Monkey Towers in magical and Non-workingmonkey is most charming and knowledgeable, which is much much better than tame.

The Gripes of Wrath said...

*sob* How can you dis' Saint Delia of the Canaries? How? Her dour, serious-faced, freckly-handed, nun-adopting, sherry-soaked, sweary mob-baiting existence on TV is the perfect antidote to a world of simpering Sophie Dahls (how much better would she be if she were called Sophie Dhal?) wittering on about how smoked haddock "smells sexy" - as opposed to actually cooking the stuff in a way that is edible. No! Leave Delia alone! As stolid as a suet pudding and as exciting as a blancmange she may be - but she is as comforting as custard. And boy, can she cook fuck out of an egg...

Johnners said...

Blast, I instantly thought it was Gordon too, but was too faffy to say so, and now my thunder has been stolen. Your kitchen looks very tidy indeed, may have to go and tidy mine now, in shame...

Johnners said...

Went back to read the Greek statue post (instead of tidying, obv) and laughed till it made me cough. Thank you!

Her Mother said...

Zoe IS marvellous!! Zoe is also most charming and knowledgeable! I can not BELIEVE the coincidence! It's uncanny.

NON-WORKINGMONKEY said...

Zoe's Mother: I know she is. I can sense it. Feel it. I know it. Soon, I will be drinking tea with Zoe. I also know it. (But Zoe, not at that bloody place on the corner of Prince-Arthur and St-Laurent - don't you think it would be endlessly more chic to go and eat Portuguese custard tarts and/or sit on the plastic chairs outside La Vieille Europe?

Asta - Lady, for this I send you more cake. Everyone - Asta needs to write a blog. She is v. funny and does good things with pork and scallops.

Johnners: hello and welcome. Well done on Gordon. Obviously a person of great good sense. Re. tidiness - only tidy because of visitors etc. Glad you laughed until you coughed but as you can see that was nearly 4 years ago and I haven't been as funny since. Fact.

lordphilth said...

NWM,
Golly gosh, this looks just like my old duplex in NDG. A big fan, British, and permanent resident of Go Go Lounge. I can be found pissed there almost every weekend. I find that les Montrealais are a bit like Mancs (I'm one), but with tidier kitchens.

NON-WORKINGMONKEY said...

Lord Philth, why the Go Go Lounge? And if I come and find you, how will I recognise you? do you look like Tim Burgess? Maybe not, he's from Salford. Does that count?

Anonymous said...

hoho! i think it is all luvely and super duper but i especially like the top shelf of your kitchen books xxx
ps the left hand side looks especially fine)

Lordphilth said...

NWM, Good question re Go Go. I go there because they let me in. Tim Burgess, no. I don't have big, cracked lips. Sean Ryder maybe, but I don't swear much nor do I have bad teeth. I lived in Salford for a long time. Lovely place, if you don't mind getting stabbed, shot, and sold dodgy gear.

Johnners said...

Thanks for the welcome, have been lurking for some time, but missed the Greek God - how on earth?! And you always make me smile/laugh, one of the best blogs on t'internet. Ooh, get me sucking up!

WV = suctar - how did it know?

NON-WORKINGMONKEY said...

Keep sucking up. It is miraculous and I love it. You are also marvellous.

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

Blog Widget by LinkWithin