Monday, August 06, 2007

Day 390: I Exploit My Readership

I never did get round to getting a publishing deal. But no matter! I may as well write a book anyway; every other idiot does. (Look at that cretin Celia Ahern, for example.)

But what should it be about? I have so many ideas, I make myself sick. And so it is that I turn again once again to you, dear readers - each and every one of you blessed with looks, functioning brains and (as I have remarked in the very recent past) the ability to press a button in an online poll!

Here are my ideas. They are all really good. You just have to choose the one you like the best. Let's get ready to rumble!


IDEA ONE: "Who Owns The Yes?"*

Going head-to-head against management classics Who Moved My Cheese? and It's Not How Good You Are, It's How Good You Want To Be, my own instant classic, Who Owns The Yes?, is a management bible for our times using, as inspiration, the words, ideas and working methods of my current boss - a man who once wrote:

"We can be kind and sweet once we smash through the walls of indifference and put these clients on railway lines to the world. Once that's done, on the 7th day, we can rest.

Pick up the fkg shovel until then and keep digging. This is the job of superhumans! Not children. We must endure we must prevail."


In it, I will focus on a number of useful points, all of which will provide a combination of both inspiration AND common-sense (or, to coin my own phrase - "common inspiration"), including chapters on:

1. How to Motivate Using The Power Of Email

2 Don't Confirm Their Contract Until The Last Minute - How To Keep Staff Begging For More

3. If You Pay Monkey Nuts, You Get Slightly Bigger Monkeys

4. The Power Of Not Listening - Keeping Yourself Safe From Constructive Criticism

5. Promise The World, Deliver A Donkey

6. Don't Mind Me - I've Only Fucking Done This Five Hundred Times Before

7. Relax In A Foaming Hot Bath Of Denial

And FREE with every purchase of "Who Owns The Yes?": your four-part Audio CD, read by Tits McGee and Abdalmahmood Mohamad: "It's Your Company: Fuck It Up If You Want To".

IDEA TWO: "The Year That Not Much Happened"

What has happened this year, which isn't very much, but is quite interesting (if you are me). Ends up with me moving to Canada, which is a bit of a turn-up for the books.

IDEA THREE: "I Move To Canada"

An epic tale, in which I move from Brixton to Quebec, and a house that is an hour's walk from the nearest shop. I spend most of each day making jam (from frozen fruit), salted muffins and Middle-Eastern banquets. In the mornings, when I am not cooking, I run around the garden (or down the road) and do press-ups on the sitting room floor.

In the evenings, I sit about the place having interesting conversations with a French Canadian self-haircutting pathologist; occasionally, we go away for the weekend. I do not miss Europe, because my friends visit and I visit them. We are happy. We get a dog; we play Scrabble quite a lot, and enjoy Backgammon.

One day, we have an argument about whether to get a cleaning lady or not. I win. About a week later, the pathologist goes to the hairdresser. The hairdresser makes him look like Pierre Trudeau. He wins, for he never visits the hairdresser again. Some years later, we separate for a week: I have found his Celine CDs. He throws Take That back in my face. We reunite.

There is an epilogue. It is set fifty years in the future. We are still doing the same things, and are still happy, but we are onto our fourth dog and both smell of wee.


IDEA FOUR: "My Life: My Life In Monkey"

A tale to inspire even the most soft-hearted of lily-livered middle class Southern kids.

"Brought up in the dirty backstreets of Kensington, Non-workingmonkey struggles through an abusive relationship with a second-hand pram, private education, parents who are not divorced and actually like each other, and a little brother who is not bad, apart from his weird legs. Despite early exposure to the works of Genesis and Yes, Non-workingmonkey is fairly happy.

But one day, Non-workingmonkey's world is shattered: why is her mother storing absinthe bottles in her wardrobe? Why have the dogs, Curses and Transplant, been left everything? And why are there two members of a Genesis tribute band in the spare bedroom?"


IDEA FIVE: "Absinthe, A Small Clay Pipe And A Packet Of Hula-Hoops"

A stream-of-consciousness novel (but loads better than Ulysses or To The Lighthouse, both of which are RUBBISH, particularly Ulysses), telling the story of one hour in one day of my life from the (unpunctuated) point of view of the person living it (and writing it) - in other words, me! It'll be great.


Which is it to be, loyal readers? Let the people decide! And remember, when you're making your choice: it's a million goddam bucks I want, not the Orange Prize for Literature! **




* Thank you to The Bookseller Crow for the idea. And he must know what he's talking about; he's a bookseller.

** Which, obviously, I would win if I wanted to.

29 comments:

beth said...

I was pretty excited when I saw it was a 50/50 neck & neck two horse race, then I realised I was only the second voter.

NON-WORKINGMONKEY said...

I think you can vote again!!!! I am pretty disappointed so far I have to say. Still, fingers crossed for the last one!

Jude said...

I was so torn between the first and the last ones. But ultimately had to go for the first. Unless you can do both. Which I am sure you can.

The rest sound fabulously entertaining for you, especially the second. But that isn't really what sells now, is it?

Anonymous said...

First one naturally since you're all about the money. Few tips - no sentences longer than five words, no word longer than three syllables (and no more than 3 multi-syllabic word per paragraph), and every page must feature a small box with particularly choice bits of wisdom all tricked out with italics and background color (I hear absinthe green is tasty). Oh, and bullet points - many many bullet points. Ulysses would have been brilliant if it had been reduced to bullet points (*remorse; * paternity; *parallax; *potted meat).

Dave Shelton said...

I have voted for The Year That Not Much Happened as, it seems to me, this would involve the least effort and therefore keep you in a close to non-working state.

And obviously, if you need a cover drawing...

Anonymous said...

my instant reaction is no1 - 'Who owns the yes" but sadly i know that would appeal to only 1% of your readership & you deserve so much more.
in all honestly you should just write, as you do from the heart. the rantings of north americans who have aspirations to be noo yawk ad dudes fall 'way' short of the wit & intellect of the NWM. be true your monkey school. you owe it to me & the rest of your monkey readers....
loving your work.

Anonymous said...

have you noticed how much people write on this topic compared to your usually postings. hmmm, think it shows people care about you.

what do i know? i'm just a giant with huge floppy PR hands....

NON-WORKINGMONKEY said...

Jude. WHO CARES WHAT SELLS? This is about integrity and ... oh no. It's about making money. I forgot. Tell me you were joking about the last one

Megan - you're SO near the top of my favourites with your reduction of Ulysses into bullet points. I salute you. (Favourite what I am not sure.)

Dave - writing ANYTHING is not working, even powerpoint presentations and emails! It is talking I cannot bear, with real people who have feelings and emotions. They scare me. Of course you are doing the illustration(s). Durr. (Talking of which, I'll send you an email about my Canadian monkey. I was not joking about it.)

NON-WORKINGMONKEY said...

ANON I KNOW WHO YOU ARE. You are my FRIEND. I kiss you. By the way they don't care about me; they feel sorry for me. Or laugh at me.
Loving your work more.

NON-WORKINGMONKEY said...

(I don't really think that. That they don't care.)

Anonymous said...

NWM, i know that you know who i am.

i care. and that's all that matters.

Anonymous said...

http://www.nigelslater.com/recipes_summer.asp

enjoy.

Jude said...

Noooo! The last one would be supreme. Just one point of order. I love TTL but Joyce leaves me cold, if I am honest. But. You are very entertaining.

Any stream of consciousness from you would be a bestseller in many circles. But Who Owns the Yes - everyone's met a twat like that. Instant best seller. Trust me.

Add the strangely deformed statue and you are done.

I will stick with number one for financial reasons. Yours, that is.

Wouldn't want you running out of crisps. Could probably supply the absinthe if you are desperate.

What you write makes me smile every day.

But just write the book! Everyone will buy it. Get on with the fame stuff, why don't you?
x

NON-WORKINGMONKEY said...

Summer Recipes 4 Me Dot Com! Holy shit. Thank you mysterious friend.

Jude. TTL is my favourite. Or the first section anyway. ("And as she looked at him she began to smile, for though she had not said a word, he knew, of course he knew, that she loved him. He could not deny it. And smiling she looked out of the window and said (thinking to herself, Nothing on earth can equal this happiness) ...")

"Who Owns The Yes" is my TOP of my list. But he is not Office-y. It is like the man who wrote Who Stole My Cheese was swallowed by Malcolm Gladwell who was then eaten by Edward Bono who was then eaten by Liberace crossed with that bloke who hosts "Extreme Home Makeover" and vomited up by the man who wrote the 7 Secrets of Highly Successful Bellends, on crack. I think he is American as well, but I am not sure. There is something to be said for him being Welsh and going on book tours around the world with his PA/girlfriend (who is modelled on Debbie McGee, but without the legs).

Jude said...

Yes, I would read that book. Much better than that Ulysses bollocks.

Miss Tickle said...

Please, last one, please. Your monkey-mind has too much of a magnetic pull. Although I do not see what is stopping you from writing two. Or even three. Go, monkey, go!

Anonymous said...

Two book deals are for losers, trust me on this, I will therefore be voting THREE times.

Anonymous said...

Write it now, monkey! You've been saying for years you'd do this. I think it's about time you picked up the shovel and got digging.

BTW, which of your friends stole my name already, forcing me to stay anonymous?

CRCB1987 said...

All I know is that I currently own the no. No, you can't do that. No, you have no budget. No point, you won't be here long enough to see that happen, No, No, No. Apart from constantine, who occasionally gets a yes.

Good sequel though, followed by the "maybe"....

Anonymous said...

it was me!

NON-WORKINGMONKEY said...

Anon and Anon -you'd get on so well as well! (not Like That).

CRCB - it's the hair you see. Gets them every time. Even when I hated him for being right I said yes when I saw his hair. With you though, even if you said 'no', you actually meant 'yes'. (heard the latest from the Towers by the way? Holy crep, as a friend of mine would say!)

Miss T - strangely the last one was a joke, but now it seems like a good idea!

Jude - OK then.

Jonathan - are you SHOWING OFF? Let me remind you this is a British blog and we don't do that here.

NON-WORKINGMONKEY said...

And Jude- thanks.

Jude said...

I can't wait for the book. Honest. Have to get all blubby now and tell you I am so happy you have sorted out all the shit.

I will go now. Delete this comment as you wish.

x

spleenal said...

My current boss went to the nike school of management.
when informed of a thousand reasons why we shouldn't do something he says...

"just do it!"

spleenal said...

He also made us all read that "who moved the cheese" book.
Now whenever anyone gets layed off we say something like...
" John's moved your cheese to the dole office mate"

NON-WORKINGMONKEY said...

Dearest Jude, I am quite surprised by it all too if I am truthful. I fell off the kerb the other day and was reminded of it. It was good.

Spleenal - in my world, such a man as your boss is known as a "twat". ("Cunt" is too complimentary; it implies great intelligence.) Try it out on him! He may like it! (Does he say "JFDI"? If so, kill him.)

Unknown said...

Now I wish I'd gone to University in the future so I could study you. To The Lighthouse nearly ended me but Absinthe, A Small Clay Pipe And A Packet Of Hula-Hoops? I can feel the essay forming in my head already.

NON-WORKINGMONKEY said...

Oh dear Muffy, don't worry. It is only a matter of months before the Open University launches an online PhD in me, conducted mainly via the media of email and website, with the odd 'summer camp' at my own "alma mater" (as they* say) - the University of York (at Heslington).

* the cunts.

Unknown said...

it's GOT to be the life of a struggling, deprived Monkey, i feel.

it must have been so hard.....

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

Blog Widget by LinkWithin