Wednesday, October 14, 2009

WEDDING COUNTDOWN: Day 1

"If you can't beat them, join them", as taxi driver philosophers say, squinting as they draw on a roll-up. I cannot beat 'them', whoever they are, as I am not sure what the competition is, but I will join the massed ranks of those who are to be married and who are - to a greater or lesser extent - preoccupied by their forthcoming nuptials.


I will start the day-by-day countdown with some exciting news. Regular readers may be aware of the magnificent drawing that was a gift from Mr Dave Shelton, and that then ended up on our 'wedding invitation'. 


 But no reader is yet aware of the sugarcraft genius that is this statuette (the expression "cake topper" does not do it justice), based on the original drawing, and made entirely of icing sugar and edible paint.  Made by Monkeymother's friend Claire, it is a miracle of modern craftsmanship, and I encourage you to look at it carefully wondering, as you do, at the detail of the leaves and the REAL tassel hanging from my fez. 


BEFORE:

AFTER:



Incroyable, mais vrai.

8 comments:

Dave Shelton said...

It is a truly remarkable thing.

I have, before now, seen a drawing of mine tattooed onto the skin of a young Texan, but this is the first time (you will be shocked to hear) that one has been transformed into three dimensions via the medium of icing sugar (and edible paint).

I am strangely moved and pleased.

Tracy Lynn said...

That is entirely made of win.

Beleaguered Squirrel said...

Ooh, I am impressed.

But now then, what about this "Day 1" malarkey? Have you purposefully omitted to tell us how many days you will be counting for? Countdowns are no fun unless you know when they will end!

NON-WORKINGMONKEY said...

It's just amazing isn't it. I'm not joking: when I look at it a tiny tear springs to my eye - look at the jaunty angle of the beaver foot! I am in shock.

Lucy P said...

so you're making one of those for each cake on a tower of three hundred cupcakes, aren't you, I just know it.

NON-WORKINGMONKEY said...

And yes: it is indeed entirely made of win.

WrathofDawn said...

That is SO full of win! Look at the maple leaves! Monkeymother's friend Claire is sheer genius.

Oui. C'est incroyable. Mais wonderfully, wonderfully vrai.

See? I speak Canadiaian.

NON-WORKINGMONKEY said...

I can't speak, only to say: as the days pass, it becomes more and more clear that it is made ENTIRELY of win! Shelton himself is astounded; the pathologist fell silent; I continue to take cautious peeks into the box in which it travelled across the world.

Also, 'made of win' is a brilliant expression that, Tracy Lynn, I thank you for.

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

Blog Widget by LinkWithin