Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Day 240: I Have Been Otherwise Engaged

It has been touch and go of late, what with clients (perfidious wretches!), a Dinner (at which Monkeymother and Monkeyfather met a French Canadian self-haircutting pathologist and conducted themselves reasonably well, despite asking if he really DID cut his own hair), and the wretched disappointment of going to see Queen Beatrix for tea and finding her absent "due to circumstances" (as demonstrated in this astonishingly bad photograph):















I am returning briefly to Blighty this weekend, for I am staying in the Amsterdam until the end of April and must collect my Barbara Cartland novels and bathing suits. Happily, as there is nothing to do in Britain apart from eat toast, read tabloid newspapers and watch re-runs of the X-Factor on ITV3, I will be writing the posts until my tiny monkey hands explode. But in the meantime, I have had an Idea.

Look me in my monkey eyes and tell me that you would not buy (with your own money), a book called "Biscuits I Got Free With My Coffee In Amsterdam". Here is an exclusive sneaky-preview! Enjoy it, my friends; see what you can infer about an establishment from looking at its biscuits! And can YOU guess my favourite biscuit so far? I bet you can! (No gags about numbers of cups of coffee I drink, if you please! I am the daughter of Monkeymother, who drinks a pint of espresso every morning to counteract the effects of the previous night's absinthe.)













21 comments:

Dave Shelton said...

The second one appears to be tartan. How do they do that?

And why?

Lucy P said...

glad to see you haven't drowned in an amsterdam canal.

i like biscuit number four. it resembles my socks.

anyone else getting the feeling that this non-working monkey is fast becoming coffee-drinking-while-tryin-to-maintain-the veneer-of-being-a-non-working-though-
actually-working-very-hard-EXPAT monkey? first you say five weeks, now it's till april... next you'll be flitting between amsterdam and french canadia and brixton won't even get a look in.

Newbie said...

I like the biscuit that claims to be peeze.

Oh those Dutch and their crazy spelling!

I think that is your favourite too.

Anonymous said...

Number six concerns me. While I am filled with awe by the lid and quite keen on the handle, a wichity grub appears to be masquerading as a biscuit.

Birchsprite said...

mmmmmmmmmmm biscuits

Anonymous said...

Oh. Monkeylady. I do want all of those yummy cups, and yummy looking biscuits. How my monkeytummy rumbles...

Anonymous said...

Peeze, I thought first. And then I thought maybe Candy. And then I thought the one at the bottom had a sort-of-vaguely-monkeyish face on it, so I thought that one. But then I thought someone else thought Peeze too, so I went back to that. I also wondered about the one with the giant white lips, which look a bit like a short and stubby cow. With big lips.

In short, I haven't a clue.

But now I want a biscuit.

Anonymous said...

And why haven't I gone off coffee? Hmm? I'm supposed to have gone off coffee.

I haven't. I want coffee.

Anonymous said...

Are you now considered a little odd, photographing all your coffee?
Still, i suppose that sort of thing is perfectly legal over there...

Anonymous said...

They all look delicious. Love the beer advertising coasters being used for morning coffee.

tea and cake said...

The stripey one for me, please! Although I would give them all a go, which I suspect you have. Glad you're back. kaz :D

Day in bed said...

I like the candy biscuit, because it comes with a chocolate and a jam! The Dutch don't do things by halves do they. I now want a whole box of biscuits, preferably with chocolate on them.

Mr Farty said...

Now you're just making me hungry. And I'll be awake all night after looking at so many pictures of cups of coffee.

The last one isn't a monkey; surely it's a windmill?

Just a wild guess - is the answer the Lincoln?

Welcome back!

*wonders if he can squeeze in a shameless plug for his World-Famous Banoffee Pie Recipe*

Anonymous said...

The double tall caramel latte this morning could not compete with your coffee pics. Haven't you heard that old saying "absinthe makes the heart grow fonder"?

apprentice said...

Oooh i would buy it, especially for the secong last biscotti looking one. No gypsy cream though, or bourbons - they are deprived poor souls

Timbo said...

Is it the one with the lid?

Anonymous said...

I remember seeing that sign in Amsterdam last summer. We wondered what the circumstances were
Also, thank you for writing such an entertaining blog!
ps: I seem to remember you asking for readers who are reading from university servers. I am. (Norwegian University of Technology and Science)

Breezy said...

The dark and sultry looking number four without a doubt. How do you get so far down your coffee without eating your biscuit?

Anonymous said...

Your favourite is the one with the bite out of it?

Hey! We have those last ones here in Canada. Who knew they were authentic?

Anonymous said...

...scary thing is, I can, with a fair degree of confidence, identify the establishment where each of those biscuits belongs. I'm pretty good with bar snacks too.

Anonymous said...

i think u like tha 1st 1 its tha only 1 wi a bite outta it

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

Blog Widget by LinkWithin