Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Day 223: I Go To The Shops

Despite my fondness for the small independent retailer, artisanal breads (whatever they are) and shops that sell only cheese, I often find myself in the same three Big Shops, running my enthusiastic fingers over shelf after shelf of splendid Dutch produce.

The first is Albert Heijn (aka Albert Swine), who only weeks ago barred a chum from their Dam Square branch for accidentally chewing on a coffee broodje. (Not "brootje". A subsequent correction. In my rubbish defence, it was written on a bit of paper by a Frenchman. Twat.) It is exactly like Tesco but with approximately 100 times more cheese. The ladies on the checkouts check out very fast, and do not wait for the person before to have packed their bags and removed themselves before starting on you. It can make for shopping traffic jams made up of tulips, cheese, gigantic vegetables and salted liquorice, but it is not an entirely unpleasant experience despite Mr Heijn's affection for pointless packaging.

Take, for example, these carrots. Regular readers will be aware of the single carrot I bought the other day, but I wonder if they are prepared for what happens when you buy four!

(Beaver the Beaver has been trying to make a dam from them but has been thwarted as they are too large, and coated in glistening plastic which makes his small paws slip off.)

But Heijn is the last resort. They do biological things with green writing on and pictures of grass so you know the food is made of food and not of chemical jizz and lunar scrapings, and it's alright for milk and candles and stuff but generally, if I have time (which I always do these days), I take my hemp carrier bag and skip to the Biological Supermarket. There, the shop assistants are sallow and unkempt as only the thoroughly organic can be. They sell fifteen varieties of nut butter and a range of small sprouting beans; their carrots are frondy and their yoghurt full of tiny animals. It is muddy, but means well.

By preference, however, I skip along the market(s) on Saturday morning with my basket quivering, plucking apples from stalls and cakes from the hands of small children. It is quite divine, and every weekend I buy armfuls of tulips from a tiny lady in an apron, nut rolls from an academic in rimless spectacles and second hand books from a man with a pipe who thinks I am related to Robert Louis Stevenson.

And then there is the Hema*. The Hema is like NO SHOP I HAVE EVER SEEN. It is perfect in all ways, like an excellent cross between John Lewis, Woolworths (UK version), Marks and Spencer and Habitat, but nicer and jollier with better designed things in. Also - and most excitingly - it is Monkey Central.

"LOOK AT THIS!" yelped my oldest friend on Saturday, clutching the aisle-end gondola. We stood rigid, barely believing what we could see with our own eyes for there, glistening in the gentle light of the well-designed shop lighting, was The Best Bedding In The World, Ever:





















And then the next day, in the Food Section (which sells only ham, cheese, almond biscuits, sweets and crisps and is therefore perfect), I see these.





And then these, inserted over wands of jelly beans! They have improved the view from my office window, I am sure you will agree.






















This weekend another visitor arrives, and with her an excuse to ask my favourite questions: "Have you ever been to the Hema? No? Would you LIKE to go?". I can hardly wait!


* Not, for once, an affectation. Gentle enquiries about the whereabouts of various products (cotton, candles, glasses, monkey covered duvet covers, foam sweets in the shape of mushrooms, tiny bicycle lights in the form of flashing mice, ham in packets and batteries) are invariably met by Dutch people with the words "the Hema!" (with the silent addition of "you cretin").

14 comments:

Nichola said...

I am impressed by your monstrous carrots.

Reluctant Nomad said...

Ah, so you've discovered the delights of Hema! Next you'll be extolling the delights of Blokker. How's that for a name?

apprentice said...

Those wee chocolate monkeys are so cute, and they look like good dark chocolate too, yum!

That garden glimpsed from the office is fab, are you allowed in?

Z said...

Are they chocolate monkeys or liquorice monkeys? If they are salted liquorice monkeys, they will be the best confectionary in the world, ever.

I'm afraid I had an episode of Dog's Bottom Mouth regarding the shrink-wrapped carrots. It might be some time before I unpurse.

Miss Tickle said...

NWM, I cannot tell you how you cheer my days.

Anonymous said...

I am disturbed, NWM, that this post indicates a turn for the prurient in your web log. Not only do we have the individually wrapped, glistening carrots overpowering a small beaver but then you go on to remark upon 'chemical jizz', 'sprouting beans' and, worst of all 'quivering baskets'. I shudder to think to what the 'aisle-end gondola' refers. I can only assume it's some sort of item purchased at one of your adopted city's more infamous emporiums.

I am quite taken aback. Think of the children.

Ms Baroque said...

Okay, I haven't even read the whole post yet! Those carrots are the rudest things I have ever seen.

Scrolling down I was quite taken with the jely monkeys - I'll go back and have a look.

I don't think I'd have been able to bring myself to buy those carrots!

NON-WORKINGMONKEY said...

Alan darling - Christ alive I LOVE Blokker. Listen, we must have that drink and discuss relative merits of the Hema vs. Blokker (the one behind Brouwersgracht, not the big one in the tourist street). I take it you have the mouse bicycle lights? If not they are on offer: only 5.50 Euro each.

Z - I concur. Entirely shocking and I was not comfortable buying them, at all. The truth is I bought them (and took the photograph) many weeks ago when frightened and in need of a carrot for soup. Now my carrots run free, and are frondy and caked in mud.

Nichola - the length of my forearm. Which leads me to ...


... Jimmy Page's Trousers (is that your given name?): I have no idea what you're talking about. Also I do not go to the sex tourist end of town, as I live in the dignified end where no-one goes out much, but the bars are crammed with people chainsmoking and drinking small dark beers by candelight.

Ms T - too kind, but have you been drinking?

A - The monkeys are made of SWEET liquorice (not as good as salty) and are slightly greasy and sinister.

Mr Farty said...

You have a splendid vantage point for spotting poor midgets lost in the maze outside your office window and shouting directions to lead them to safety.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't bare to eat those jelly monkeys, with their whimsical expressions, folded hands and crossed legs like Stephen Fry on QI.

Anonymous said...

*Bear?

Which is right?!

Anonymous said...

I love the cheeky monkeys! Got to get me some! The Hema is indeed glorious. Have you tried their sausages yet? (I'm not being dirty)

(pssst: koffie broodje is spelled with a d)

Miss Tickle said...

At 10.35? Just what sort of a lady do you think I am?

(Your thoughts are probably quite accurate.)

Nichola said...

I wonder if anyone's ever inserted a carrot into a monkey?

Or indeed, a monkey into a carrot?

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

Blog Widget by LinkWithin