Saturday, November 11, 2006

Day 123: I Am Given A Tantalising Glimpse Of My Christmas Present And Believe I Shall Soon Have My Heart's Desire, But Am Thwarted

I have always wanted a pony. When I got older and taller, I wanted a horse. But not just any old equine thing; oh no. I mean mules aren't much cop, and you can't do much with a zebra, unless you're a lion.

I had part-shares in a donkey called Rolly once. (He was called Rolly because, like most donkeys, he liked rolling around in fields quite a lot). He didn't do much except eat carrots, roll around and put up with me trying to plait his non-existent mane, but he was handy for fancy dress competitions at agricultural shows.

I went as a carrot once, as you will see in this enchanting photograph. (The arm you see is not a tantalising glimpse of Monkeymother, but my aunt; the lady in blue to the left is my Granny.) Rolly usually looked a lot happier than he does here, and that orange blob has nothing to do with his actual muzzle.

(In fact, he usually looked like this, but without the rosette he won for being second best donkey in Kinross-shire. There were two donkeys in the competition.)

Over the years, Monkeymother constructed various constumes, starting with Carrot (me, c. 1976), Gold Prospector (my little brother, c. 1977), and Christopher Robin and Eeyore (my little brother, c. 1978). Rolly always played a key part, and we invariably won a rosette and trot round the ring.

Time passed. We grew too big for Rolly, and he became too old for us. I rode other peoples' ponies, fell off a few horses, went on a riding holiday, had pretend gymkhanas featuring Britain's plastic horses at my friend Sara's flat, read the Complete Works of the Pullein-Thompson sisters and cried for three days after seeing International Velvet. But I couldn't have a real horse of my own because we lived in the big city.

But Monkeymother has bever forgotten. Tonight I returned from a night out (during which I ate too much lemon trifle), and found an electronic communication from her suggesting that finally - yes, finally - I will be getting a pony for Christmas. And here she is, Butterscotch the Pony (with some little bastard interloper who can get her stupid hands off MY pony RIGHT NOW):




















I have been to look at the computer internet link that was included in Monkeymother's communication. It has given me a sneak preview of Butterscotch, and she sounds really good. "Feed her the carrot and groom her with her brush. Watch her swish her tail back and forth! She even whinnies and snorts, and will sniff your hand!".

But hold up: what is this? "Pony's maximum weight limit is 80 lbs.-36kg." In Monkeymother's eyes I am always lovely, but I think she has underestimated my weight a bit. Well, quite a lot, actually. Still, it's the thought that counts.

Meanwhile, I will prevail. For one day I WILL have a horse (I'm thinking a 16 hand bay with a kind face, about 7 years old, nicely broken-in and fond of apples), and I shall call him Kind Horsey, and brush his mane every day. On Sundays I will oil his hooves and for Christmas he shall have a whole packet of Polos to himself.

Trot on, Kind Horsey!

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gosh! First MM offers to buy you gorgeous naked man statue and then a pony... I'd ask for the statue first....

Dave said...

Do not feed your pony with Oatibix, for it is mine.

Buggles Balham High Road said...

Priceless. Shall you keep in it your garden next to the statue?

I think I'd like your MonkeyMother.

Does she Blog?

Anonymous said...

Dear raiseyoureyebrows. Thank you for your kind words. No, I don't blog, as I just can't be arsed. I just stir up NWM from time to time.

Buggles Balham High Road said...

You stirring up is worthy of a Blog of its own MM.

Thanks for replying.

NON-WORKINGMONKEY said...

Anonymous -she says it. But DOES SHE MEAN IT? Sigh.

Dave - don't get too full of yourself, my friend. Just You Wait, 'Enry 'Iggins.

Eyebrows and MM - We have been trying to get MM to do it for some time but she Refuses. MM, please continue stirring otherwise I would have Nothing to write about.

Clare - far too kind. First sign off illness and it's off to the knacker's yard.

Lucy P said...

soon, you'll be brixton's own theme park, what with bigpeepeegaymanthing and now Butterscotch. (I wonder if bigpeepeegaymanthing takes batteries too). just imagine the fun.

i love the carrotmonkey.

Monkeymummy, you KNOW you want to blog. We'll be your adoring fans.

NON-WORKINGMONKEY said...

I won't read it.
Although I wonder if I should try and persuade her to do a guest post or two.
Now there's an idea.
Carrotmonkey is Legend. It met in a point underneath the tummy of Rolly. Splendid!

Anonymous said...

So you saw that advert for that fucking toy horse too? My girlfriend started swooning over it, then I saw the price tag and swiftly put an end to that nonsense.
AND it only takes a maximum weightload of 36kg. Would it support you?

Anonymous said...

Thank you, nice bloggy people.

I forgot to say that it was not I who made that carrot monstrosity (although it did keep NWM in one place for quite some time), but my sister-in-law.

Also, if NWM gets Butterscotch for Christmas (she will have to make the difficult choice between pony and statue hung like a pony), she will have to get a paper round in order to pay for the batteries, so will no longer be a monkey of the non-working variety.

Anonymous said...

Whilst the pony is undeniably tempting, I would go for the man hung like a pony every time.

No question.

Anonymous said...

Ask to see Butterscotch's credentials before you make any decisions, that's my advice.

I know *all about* horses by the way.

Anonymous said...

I understand the girls/ponies fascination. I went through it myself. But c'mon, Butterscotch vs. Hung Statue? That boy needs a good garden home.

NON-WORKINGMONKEY said...

Oh ALRIGHT, I'll take the statue.

I reckon Butterscotch would break. And as you so chivalrously point out, Tim, I weigh CONSIDERABLY more than the maximum weight that Butterscotch can take.

Anonymous said...

NWM - Before a final decision is made, I have asked the lovely people at: www.tellyads.com to get the Butterscotch commercial up on their site, and they're going to try.

Difficult choice: broken statue, stuck together with glue, filled in with Polyfilla, or a glorious golden pony all of your own. I think I saw a site on Google where some American dad has complained that Butterscotch uttered a profanity, so even better, eh?

Anonymous said...

Is that you, dressed as a carrot, on a donkey?
Ahahahahahahaha! Very sweet.

indigo said...

I thought that horses had complicated names built from the names in their pedigrees. (Butterscotch IS pedigree, isn't he/she? Sort of palamino. Kind of.)

Um, I think that Butterscotch is a better bet. You'll be able to play with him/her indoors on rainy days and auction him/her on eBay when you want a different toy. (Please everyone note, before you flame my inbox, I know that real live animals cannot be auctioned on eBay: people who have tried that get an early visit from the Plod.)

indigo said...

ImustgetalifeImustgetalife - I followed your link to the Hamleys web site - and, I don't know how to break this to you, Butterscotch is "out of stock"!

Clearly, Butterscotch is going to like it was with Cabbage Patch dolls and Buzz Lightyear dolls.

Going off now to get a life ...

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

Blog Widget by LinkWithin