Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Splendid Monkey Gallery: Picture 1

Most monkey pictures are rubbish, as it goes. You know, you look at them and think: Oh, am I supposed to think that's funny just because it's a monkey? Some of them are good though.

So today, inspired by this particularly splendid monkey, I have decided to launch Splendid Monkey Gallery, a special on-going occasional series (depending on quality of monkeys, to be frank) displaying monkey pictures that I find amusing.

Here is Picture 1, sent by a particularly splendid chap I used to work with who has the finest surname of anyone I know, and is also quite handsome. We did stuff with Buttons together once. (Not Like That.)

Send your monkey pictures in. (If you think they're good enough.) Rules, regulations and guidelines below.

How To Qualify For Insertion In Splendid Monkey Gallery

1. Your monkey is either funny, or it isn't. If you have to explain why it's funny, it definitely isn't.
2. I decide who gets in Splendid Monkey Gallery. Do not beg, cajole, tell me it's your birthday or offer money. I either like it, or I don't.
3. Only one monkey submission per person per week, supplied in j-peg format if possible. (I break everything else.)
4. Contexual back-story is permitted, as long as it is not there in order to explain why the monkey itself is funny.

Guidelines

1. I don't actually find real monkeys that funny, unless Carl is doing Monkey News on Ricky Gervais' podcast (the only reason I listen to it, ever).
2. If it makes me laugh immediately, it gets in.
3. Quality of illustration unimportant, although Good Illustration (cf. Shelton) has a better chance of catching my eye. Mind you, so does rubbish drawn on a bus ticket, leading me to ...
4. I find bad drawing immoderately funny.
5. Remember: everyone can draw. If you think you can't, Double Reason to try. The drawing will be Splendid.
6. Drawings of monkeys done by monkeys will receive Special Attention.

Publication Times

When a good monkey comes in.

Accreditation

Full accreditation will be supplied (author of monkey supplied; your name and link, that sort of thing. Don't think this is going to drive any traffic to your site, mind: I've only got ten readers, and one of them's in Latvia.)

Prizes

A monthly prize will be awarded for Most Splendid Monkey. The prize will be the honour of being chosen, but I'll have a think. Trophies may be involved, and possibly an Awards Ceremony, depending on how many monkeys come in and how many of you can be arsed to get on a bus to a pub with 'Monkey' in its name.

10 comments:

Tracy Lynn said...

That is an excellent illustration. I wish to steal it. May I?

NON-WORKINGMONKEY said...

I think it depends what for. It was sent by Advertising Chum, so almost certainly belongs to someone. Do you want me to check? (I am getting serious all of a sudden.) If it is for your blog of Personal Use (cough), I have NO DOUBT that it should be fine.

Dave Shelton said...

My mate Mark Stafford (the most criminally underused cartoonist in the UK) has a very fine monkey picture here.

NON-WORKINGMONKEY said...

Shelton, I like Mark's monkey but he does not make me laugh. He is obviously a splendid cartoonist though. (Incidentally you and I know of Another Monkey who will be making an appearance soon.)

Monkey Bob said...

Great idea for a contest. I think that humans relate on some primal level with monkeys. That's why we like them. They're like our cousins or something. Perhaps they also help us to feel superior - at least we know that we are not at the bottom of the primate totem pole.

Anonymous said...

Hey! Thats me! The one in Latvia! Thats me! Gosh, I'm so pleased you noticed! :)))))

I like your blog by the way. It always cheers me up. Shame you've only got ten readers though. I'll maybe tell some friends about it and drum up a bit more support...

Tracy Lynn said...

I just wanted to print it out and hang it on my wall. For some reason, it just cracks me up.

NON-WORKINGMONKEY said...

Monkey Bob - where is your monkey, my friend?

Andrew - I aim to spread the love wherever I can. What are you doing in Latvia? Please tell all your friends.

Tracy - hell, yeah. Do it. I won't tell.

Hot love

NWM

Anonymous said...

I don't normally like pictures of monkeys dressed up in clothes but as a loyal reader please let me include this one.

mella said...

but these monkeys are adorable and funny

http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/animals/news-ewok-snow-monkey-pictures

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

Blog Widget by LinkWithin