Monday, September 25, 2006

Day 78: I Review My Friends Reunited Profile

I really don't get the point of Friends Reunited. I look at it about once every 3 months, usually when I've had one absinthe too many and think I'm Napoleon. I know all the people I want to know from the olden days, and I there's no-one I wish I'd slept with in 1991, so I'm not angling for a reunion. (In fact I'm definitely not angling for a reunion. The thought makes me feel faint and fumble for my pipe. There's a reason why we didn't keep in touch, although I do wonder what happened to Wendy Platt. She was nice.)

When I still did internet dating, I could weed out the knobbers by a) whether or not they looked me up on Friends Reunited; and b) whether they believed it or not. I actually and literally went on a date once with someone who asked me how the tablecloth business was going. (A knobber, naturellement.) I had no idea what he was talking about, but you will if you read this, the profile that is still loitering on Friends Reunited.

(As I hinted at in the previous piss-poor post, it is still attracting communication from people I wouldn't recognise if they were wearing a sandwich board saying "I am Paul Davies, and we were at university together. I'm the one who you sent an anonymous note to saying 'Deodorant is good, Best wishes, A Friend.'")

"Following my breakdown after leaving York, (1991 - 1992), I left London for Prague and worked for an animation company. We won the 1993 Grand Prix for Best Animation Short at Cannes, which opened up a lot of opportunities for us.

Sadly, however, Paul and I divorced late in the summer of 1993 and I felt it would be better for everyone if I moved back to London. I then met Matt and although we've had a bumpy ride, we've both agreed that an open marriage is possibly the only way we can keep our relationship together - after all, fidelity isn't just about sex.

I spent 1993 - 1998 in Lincoln with Matt where he set up his own animation company. He's now perfected a real-time stop-animation technique that's about to snapped up by a certain Oscar-winning Animator whose first name starts with an N, and who isn't entirely unfamiliar with Wensleydale Cheese. Whilst Matt was setting up Starburst, I worked for Lincolnshire Countrywide, a small advertising agency based about 2 minutes from our house, and ran a number of accounts, mainly those of locally-based businessmen.

In early 1998 Matt left me for a while and I moved back to London, where I am now in deep psychotherapy and working 'behind the scenes' at a local amateur dramatic group - currently working on 'HMS Pinafore' for June 2004, set in pre-Stalinist Russia with costumes by George of Streatham. Matt comes down every other weekend and gets on well with Tim.

Our kids, Leilandii and Durcan, are 5 and 2 and the apple of our eye, although they're currently living with my mother in Fulham. We also have 2 dogs, Curses and Transplant.

Would be great to hear from anyone from the old days. I am running a small business on the side making laminated tablecloths, so would love to hear from any budding (or existing!) textile designers.

Be safe and Happy !!!!!"


Naah. It's as perfect today as it was four years ago. I'll leave it as it is. I'm only in contact about five people who are on it and they all know the dogs are really called Curses and Dialysis, so it's not like I'm being deliberately deceitful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thats the funniest thing I ever read NWM!!!! I'm snorting into my morning cuppa here and it's really not attractive for someone of my age!! You are so right about FR being totally poncy - bloody genius! I'm still chuckling about the kids' and dogs' names....too funny!!!
xxx

Anonymous said...

It sounds a bit deceitful in my opinion. You left out the Fez part, though.
You had me at laminated table cloths. Perhaps you should open an e-shop?

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

Blog Widget by LinkWithin