Sunday, August 20, 2006

Day 43: I Hate Flying

Don't get me wrong. I like flying FOR WORK. Flying FOR WORK involved:

First class travel to New York. "Champagne, madam?" Yes please. I will mix it with this cheeky Temazepam I just happen to have, and find this film hilarious, and pass out, and wake up in a limousine going over Brooklyn Bridge. What is this in the minibar? That's HILARIOUS. Hoo hoo. Hee hee. What am I doing today? What's that? Eating organic tomatoes with a Son Of Mars and trying to find a VISION for organic pasta spirally things? You pay me for this? Paramount and Royalton when they were interesting? Yes please. Oh dear, I seem to be drunk again. But it's OK, because there's another limousine taking me back to JFK. "Champagne, madam?" Yes please, it goes lovely with Valium. And look, there's a man with a board with my NAME on. Ha ha ha!

Short haul business class flights to various European capitals. Oh look there's that funny man in the Mercedes here to drive me to Heathrow and look, here I am in the BA lounge! Ha ha! I shall drink 10 tiny glasses of orange juice, get someone to send a fax for me, read the paper ostentatiously, and go through the 'I'm important' channel at customs. And look, there's another man at Charles de Gaulle with a board with my name on! Dinner in the Louvre? Yeah, OK. Stranded in Paris during a strike? Forced to stay at hotels full of women wearing buttermilk leather miniskirts and men with matching skin? Why not. Go on. Twist my arm.

Business class to Edinburgh. At what point, actually, is that necessary? £480 for a 50 minute flight to go to a 2 hour meeting? Is the client paying for it? Ha ha!

If you're unemployed you fly Ryanair to La Rochelle a lot. La Rochelle airport is in fact a shed, and until a year ago they unloaded the luggage onto a little cart with trailers and would just drive it into the airport, and you plucked your scuzzy suitcase off the trailer. It had a certain charm.

Now a cavalcade of cunts who wear nylon shorts and England shirts and don't bother to speak French go there the whole time and I have to fly with them. I hate them. Their children scream and are uncontrolled, and the French people and their children are dignified and well behaved, but the English people put ON their matching England shirts and their children RUN AROUND and SHOUT, and then the flight is late, and then some twat leaves a van on the runway so you have to fly round and round in the Essex sky, and the landing is awful because it always is with Ryanair. And some woman sitting in front of you says over and over again: "Are all Ryanair planes the same?", and then she says, "are they the biggest airline?" and you want to shout HOW STUPID ACTUALLY ARE YOU? And then an announcement comes on with some Ryanair bloke offering cheap mobile calls and the bloke next to you mutters "for fuck's sake", and you both tut like the raddled old snobs you both are.

When you finally get off the plane the matching England shirted ones are all turning on their mobiles that have STUPID RINGS ON THEM and shout and go HA HA ISN'T IT CHEAP THE DRINK, and then you see Leicester City Ladies' FC all drunk at Stansted walking around going ALLEZ LES BLEUS in bad French accents, then you notice 2 of them are in wheelchairs having sustained footballing injuries at the hands of, I hope, a far superior French ladies' football team, and are slightly ashamed that you laugh a bit, then you catch yourself pulling DISTAINFUL FACES and you're BY YOURSELF. Then there's the THOUSANDS of IDIOTS getting off flights from hen and stag weekends going HA HA HA WEREN'T WE DRUNK HA HA WHERE'S YOUR BAG JOHN DID YOU LEAVE IT IN THAT BIRD'S ROOM HA HA HA.

I should turn inwards, take up meditation, and accept my fellow human beings as the beautiful individuals they all are, whilst accepting that other people have different ideas of fun, ideas that may not necessarily match my own. I would, however, be happier if they did it at some distance from me, possibly in a different, roped-off area. I don't think that's unreasonable.

Oh dear. I seem to be back in London. How did that happen?

10 comments:

girl said...

LOL - aww, and even Ryanair would feel nice right now since I haven't travelled in forever. Take me along on your next business trip!

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain! Brits-abroad.....to be avoided at all costs!! Glad you made it back in 1 piece.

NON-WORKINGMONKEY said...

Thanks M. Do you know I'm so bad that when I'm 'abroad' but not in France sometimes I pretend to be French just so they don't think I'm an English tourist. What. A. Twat. x

Anonymous said...

OH thats brilliant!!! I wish I could speak another language fluently enough to get away with that too. Genius!

Anonymous said...

Ye've done it now, NWM. I took yer post an' put it on th'ship...

NON-WORKINGMONKEY said...

Gawd bless yer, Cap'n!

xxx

Tired Dad said...

Bloody hell.

Anonymous said...

You've brought it upon yourself. Monkeys should travel as God and the zookeeper intended - in a cage in the cargo hold with a good supply of bananas and a bowl of water. Or with BA to Bordeaux at ten times the cost.

NON-WORKINGMONKEY said...

And monkey nuts? I like cracking the shells in my monkey teeth.

Anonymous said...

Monkey nuts are, naturally, for monkeys, except when transformed into that extraordinary product known as peanut butter, which resembles neither of the elements of its name. However, I don't think the airlines would like the mess the shells would leave in the hold although, on the other hand, the banana skins might be a health and safety issue.

Generally, monkey nuts are only sold to those morons who give them to the squirrels that drive us all mad.

N.B. When travelling on a real airline, the monkey nuts are called peanuts (often dry-roasted) and come in a cellophane packet. Think on't.

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

Blog Widget by LinkWithin